Still Life Painting
8 classes: $499
Students must have one year of drawing classes or equivalent experience.
In this course, students will work to complete about 2 still life paintings. Still life sets ups will be provided by the instructor. The course will focus on: drawing accuracy (always important); how to make use of color to make a more beautiful painting, reflect reality and add interest; and the use of value to make a painting “pop”.
- Oil Paints (professional grade)
- Winsor Red Deep
- Cadmium Red Light
- Sap Green
- Ultramarine Blue
- Grumbacher Cadmium Yellow Medium
- Winsor Newton Flake White Hue
- Other useful colors, though not necessary, would be Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Black and Transparent Yellow Oxide.
- Oil brushes: A variety of sizes from size 0 to size 12 in softer, more flexible bristles, either in a synthetic fiber or animal hairs, such as sable, badger or mongoose. (Barbara mainly uses Winsor Newton Monarch brushes with mongoose hair, mostly filberts.)
- Supports: Prepared stretched canvasses or boards. Supports should be underpainted in a relatively neutral color of about medium value. Recommended sizes: 12” X 16”, 16” X 20”, or 18” X 24”. For less experienced students, I recommend you avoid 18" X 24".